The Sudanese Foreign Ministry said that it had informed the United Nations that its envoy to the country, Volker Peretz, was persona non grata. This comes at a time when battles escalated between the army and the Rapid Support Forces, as fires continued to break out in an oil and gas facility, following an attack on the Yarmouk defense industries complex, south of Khartoum. Amid fears of an expansion of the conflict, after residents told Reuters about crowds of rebels in South Kordofan state.
Peretz held two meetings in Addis Ababa with the representative of the United Nations to the African Union and the representative of IGAD in Sudan, addressing a group of diplomats at the British Embassy in Addis Ababa.
The head of the Sudanese Sovereignty Council, General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, had previously called on the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Antonio Guterres, to replace his representative in the country. Sudanese also demonstrated earlier in front of the headquarters of the mission headed by Peretz.
Fights and fears escalate
Meanwhile, Al-Jazeera correspondent in Sudan reported yesterday, Thursday, that battles with heavy weapons were taking place between the army and the “rapid support” in the industrial area in Khartoum and Al-Ghaba Street, while fires continued to break out in an oil and gas facility for the second day in a row, following an attack on the Yarmouk defense industries complex in the south of the country. Capital.
Meanwhile, the house of Al-Hadi Idris, a member of the Sovereignty Council and head of the Revolutionary Front, in the Kafouri suburb of Khartoum North, was bombed by an army plane, which resulted in the destruction of parts of the house, according to the spokesman for the Revolutionary Front.
In western Sudan, Al-Bukhari Ahmed Abdullah, deputy head of the Sudanese coalition that governs the state of West Darfur, said that the death toll during the past weeks in El Geneina reached 850, in addition to 2,000 wounded. The fighting also led to the burning of hundreds of homes and markets.
The deputy head of the Sudanese coalition revealed that what he called the militias destroyed all resources, looted markets, and dried up water resources, with the communication network cut off.
Reuters quoted residents of South Kordofan state as saying that a large rebel force belonging to the so-called Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North, led by Abdel Aziz Al-Hilu, mobilized its forces yesterday, which raised fears of the spread of conflict in the southern regions of the country.
Residents told the agency that it was not yet clear what position Al-Hilu might take in the conflict that broke out in Khartoum on April 15 between the army and the Rapid Support Forces, but the build-up of his forces raised fears of clashes.
According to the residents, the SPLM-N forces entered several army camps around Kadugli (the capital of South Kordofan), which prompted the army to reinforce its positions, and they reported that the Rapid Support Forces closed the road between Kadugli and El-Obeid to the north, depriving the city of supplies.
There have been clashes in the past few months between the SPLM-N and the Rapid Support Forces.
For his part, Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan said that there are positive signs in the talks regarding developments in Sudan. The Saudi minister called on the parties in this country to abide by the agreement and the cease-fire.
In a parallel context, Kuwait condemned the storming and vandalism of the buildings of the embassies of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Palestine, China and Oman, in the Sudanese capital.
For its part, the General Secretariat of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation expressed its strong condemnation of the attack on the Saudi Embassy in Khartoum.
On Wednesday, Riyadh announced that its embassy building in Sudan and its annexes had been subjected to vandalism by some armed groups, affirming its total rejection of all forms of “violence and sabotage” towards diplomatic missions and representations.